A great way to stay motivated is to connect with the best accountability partner you can find. If you are serious about achieving your goals this year, then an accountability partner will be a great asset. However, if you decide to connect with an accountability partner be sure to choose one where the benefits are mutual and positive. Here are some suggestions for choosing the best accountability partner:
- You must trust each other.
- Challenge each other but do not condemn each other. Condemning and criticizing one another is not only counterproductive, it can destroy the relationship.
- Stay focused during the accountability time. Remember why you connected in the first place. Determine what you both want to accomplish and during your accountability time, center your conversation around those objectives.
- Schedule a specific time to meet and talk. While you do not have to meet face-to-face, it is important to block out time to discuss your progress. Scheduling the same time each week makes it easier to stay on task.
- Be a good listener. Determine how long your meeting will be and give each other equal listening time.
- Ask questions that inspire and encourage accountability. Making suggestions is a great way to help your accountability partner, but be careful not to do their thinking for them. Before making suggestions, ask questions. This will help breed confidence and your partner.
- Be clear about your partnership. Determine what you each want to achieve from making your connection.
- Always end on a positive note.
Consider reviewing these points, before each meeting with your accountability partner. Also consider sharing these points with your accountability partner, so that you are both on the same page. Keeping in mind that it is a partnership and not a parent-child relationship will build confidence in both partners and inspire results.
If you do not have an accountability partner, consider joining our private Facebook Group, Power Achievement Team. Also, find out more ways an accountability partner can benefit you and inspire your motivation by listening to “A Great Staying Motivated Strategy”.