Getting Over the Fear of Starting a Business
(Be sure to listen to our series on “Conquering Fear”. Click to listen.)
Getting over the fear of starting a business is not very difficult when you use the right strategies. Having your own home based business brings a lot of freedom and it will give you control over your own destiny. Of course before getting to that point, it is necessary to point out that some work has to be done to lay the foundation that will bring you the financial freedom and personal freedom that you desire. As a Goal Achievement Strategists, I have talked to many who desire to start a business or were in the early stages of starting their business and after discovering what it takes to succeed in business, they drew the conclusion that they could not go forward. The truth of the matter is the only thing that was stopping them was fear. If you are one of those people who gave up on your business dream or didn’t even get started on it and you are now working on a job that you don’t like, then you may want to revisit starting your business. If you are afraid that you won’t succeed in a home-based or small business, here are some tips to help you with getting over the fear of starting a business:
- Begin with the end in mind. As Stephen Covey wrote in his book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, it is important to know what you want to achieve by starting a business. See your business as thriving and you will begin to feel the excitement of following through on getting started.
- Talk to someone who is successful at running their business. It can either be the same type of business you would like to start or someone who is thriving in a business they are passionate about and they are willing to encourage you and share with you details about various wholesalers (such as https://helloabound.com/, for example) or manufactures that you may find useful. In today’s business environment, it is possible for any person with the drive and entrepreneurial mindset to start a business. It’s just a matter of finding the right resources and people to guide you along the process. Blog posts from firms like Early Growth (read here: https://earlygrowthfinancialservices.com/blog/a-guide-for-black-founders-seeking-capital/) often provide plenty of useful information on the startup scene in parts of the US, which can prove helpful for seeking out funds and networking.
- Be sure to do your homework. You don’t have to know everything before you get started, but it is important to have some working knowledge as to how to get started, how much money, the best kind of business insurance, and the type of team you will need. Talking about the team, ensure that you have the right kind of people to do the job. You would surely not want to hire someone with a criminal record or people who have a negative remark from their previous employer. For that, you might want to sneak a peek at these guys from firms like Checkr, who can help you with the background verification of your candidates.
- Get a cheer leading section. Only connect with those who are willing to encourage you to follow through on your purpose. Becoming a part of an accountability group can definitely easier fears and boost your excitement.
- Take a deep breath and write down a date to get started.
- Get started.
Just as an aside, if any of you reading this thinking about building a business on the Internet, the good news is that you won’t need very much money to get started. You can find domain names, hosting and even webpages with a starting costs of his little as $.99. The point here is that you should let nothing stop you from moving forward with your dream.
if after reading this and you feel re-inspired or inspired to start your business, tune into my podcast, Designing Your Life Today. On “Thriving Thursdays” get ideas for creating systems and marketing that will help you stay focused on building a profitable business. If you have any questions, we would love to help. Feel free to visit our website, Designing Your Life Today and email your questions to us. If you have always wanted to build a profitable business so that you can spend more time with family, friends and doing the things you love, now is the time to take action. We call this “doing life with power”.
Book: Quantum Success
Book: The One Thing
Book: The Miracle Morning